Rumpke Drivers Receive National Award
NWRA Recognizes Industry’s Best
Two Rumpke drivers were named 2023 Driver of the Year by the National Waste & Recycling Association (NWRA). Cincinnati Region Roll Off Driver Randy Reynolds won the Regional Industrial award, and Waverly Region Front Load Driver Justin Smith earned the Regional Commercial award. Randy and Justin received the honors during the annual 2023 NWRA Awards Breakfast at Waste Expo in New Orleans on May 2.
The NWRA Driver of the Year award honors drivers who represent the best of the industry in safety and customer service. They operate trucks in a safe and responsible manner and have outstanding performance records. Their example provides a positive image of the waste and recycling industry. Applicants for this award are competing against drivers from other companies throughout the United States. This year, 600+ candidates were considered for the award.
About Randy Reynolds and Justin Smith
Randy Reynolds has been with Rumpke for 40 years. He has been featured in promotional videos, volunteered to work extra hours with relief efforts and assists with mentoring new drivers. Some of his biggest contributions to the community include helping with clean ups from the Ohio River flood of 1997 and tornadoes in Dayton and Montgomery, Ohio.
Justin Smith was hired by the late Todd Rumpke in 1991. He has worked in all lines of business and has always proven to be a safe, reliable and valued member of Rumpke’s team. Customers praise his dependability and efficiency and appreciate his extra effort to ensure their needs are met.
Congratulations to Randy and Justin! We appreciate their service to Rumpke. They are team members who exemplify our mission to deliver exceptional waste and recycling solutions to our customers and communities. Thank you also to the Cincinnati and Waverly region teams for assisting while Randy and Justin enjoyed the full Waste Expo experience.
Rumpke Experts Share Industry Insights
Also, several Rumpke team members were featured speakers during Waste Expo’s professional development sessions. Presentations included:
- President & CEO Bill Rumpke Jr., “Talking Trash through the Generations”
- Columbus Region Recycling Manager Logan Miller, “Lithium-ion Battery Fires Are Everywhere: An Overview of the Problem and Solutions”
- Director of Human Resources Rachel Mitchell, “Labor in the Waste & Recycling Industry”
- Director of Recycling Jeff Snyder, “MRF Technologies & Innovation” and “Seizing an Opportunity: The Rise of MRF Investments”
- Driver of the Year Randy Reynolds, “Driver Roundtable: Insights from Behind the Wheel”
- OSHA Compliance Manager Jerry Peters, “Safety in the Waste & Recycling Industry
- East Area Safety Manager Bridgett Biggs, “NWRA Safety Symposium”
“Congratulations to Randy and Justin, and thank you to our subject matter experts for enhancing our profession and elevating Rumpke’s brand as industry leaders,” said Bill Rumpke Jr.
Waste Expo is North America’s largest solid waste, recycling, organics and sustainability tradeshow serving both the private and public sectors. The show includes 14,500 attendees, 600+ exhibitors and 100+ education sessions and workshops.