Athens, OH, Waste & Recycling Program Information
Hello Athens, We’re Rumpke Waste & Recycling and We Can’t Wait To Serve You!
On January 2, 2024, Rumpke Waste & Recycling will start collecting trash, recycling and compost from the homes and businesses in Athens. We’re thrilled to serve you and would like to introduce ourselves and let you know what you can expect from us.
More than 90 years ago the Rumpke Family began picking up trash for Ohio families. Today, that tradition continues. Founded on the core values of teamwork, quality, perseverance, growth and responsibility, Rumpke is determined to bring the best service solutions to Athens.
Our local team of more than 50 people will service the area from our hauling offices in Nelsonville. If you want to be part of our team, Rumpke is hiring. Be sure to check out our paid training and free CDL certification.
While Rumpke may have gotten its start in Cincinnati, we are proud to be an active corporate citizen in both Athens and Hocking counties. We own and operate the Athens-Hocking Landfill. In fact, all trash collected in Athens will be disposed there. Meanwhile, Rumpke will continue to take recycling and compost to the Athens-Hocking Recycling for processing. We look forward to working toward helping meet the community’s sustainability goals.
We thank you for the opportunity to service your homes and businesses here in Athens, and we are beyond proud to do it!
Trash & Recycling Carts
- Residents should continue to use their blue recycling carts. If the cart is in disrepair, please contact Rumpke at 1-800-828-8171 to schedule delivery of a new cart. Broken carts will be collected, stored, prepared, and shipped out to be recycled.
- In the coming months, you will no longer need your personal trash cans. Starting in March 2024, Rumpke will begin delivering trash carts to each residence based on the typical trash volumes placed at the curb. Be on the lookout for communication detailing when you can expect your new cart. After new carts are delivered, you may choose to place your old cans curbside for disposal.
There will be no change to your billing process. To view rates and pay your bill, visit the City of Athens website under “Departments” and “Utilities Billing”, or pay here.
- There will be no change in your service or collection day. Due to the holiday, Rumpke will operate on a one-day delay the week of January 2. Any customer who wants to alter their service level should contact the City of Athens. Any residential customers with service concerns, please contact Rumpke by calling 1-800-828-8171. All others please contact the City of Athens.
- Place trash and recycling at the curb by 7 a.m. the day of your service day or the evening before. Please check to ensure your containers are set out on the proper day by visiting the City of Athens website.
- If you subscribe to compost collection services, Rumpke will provide you with a new 7-gallon bin. Continue to place your compost curbside on your scheduled collection day.
- Rumpke will transport all trash to the Athens-Hocking Landfill. Recycling materials and compost will go to the Athens-Hocking Recycling Center.
- Residents may place bulk items out for collection on their regularly scheduled collection day.
- Please wrap all fabric and upholstered items furniture, mattresses and box springs in plastic before taking them to the curb.
- Freon-bearing appliances must have Freon (i.e. refrigerators, A/C units and dehumidifiers) removed by a licensed HVAC technician and tagged before removal.
Rumpke will be following the Athens-Hocking Recycling Center acceptable items list. All recycling will be taken to the Athens-Hocking Recycling Center.
Newspaper (inserts can be included), magazines & catalogs (glossy paper and junk mail), mixed paper (non-glossy), cereal boxes, cracker boxes, pop & beer boxes, cartons, paper towel rolls, paper egg cartons, etc. Brown corrugated, paper grocery bags, brown/manilla envelopes. Remove plastic inserts and flatten.
Metal (Tin/Steel) food & beverage cans, aluminum scrap
Pet food cans, fruit and vegetable cans, ets. Aluminum foil, pie pans and other small scrap.
Materials must be free of food. Labels need not be removed. Please rinse beverage cans.
Rinse and remove caps. All colors can be mixed. Labels need not be removed.
Plastic bottles such as milk jugs, pop bottles, shampoo & detergent bottles. Clamshells & containers such as those used for salad, cottage cheese, yogurt & berries. NO Styrofoam accepted.